Week 74 (Lower North Diffusion Pattern)

This week we finished up the lower diffusion pattern on the South wall and then brought the North Wall even to that level.  Compared to the average progress of the last month, the blocks are now positively flying up into position.

From 10′ up on the scaffolding, here’s the pattern on the South wall:

lowerpatternsouthedge.jpg

In addition to finishing the pattern, we also grouted up to the 18th course, adding another 24 sticks of #5 rebar:

southwallsteelcourse18.jpg

And here’s what it looks like from the North side:

lowerpatternsouthwall.jpg

You can see just how many blocks are in position to go up onto the North wall.  You might also notice in the above photo that the scaffolding has been raised to a new level since three weeks ago.  Here’s that scaffolding going up:

northwallscaffoldbuild.jpg

With all those blocks now in the walls, the blocks in the field are starting to thin out:

fieldblockscourse18.jpg

Truthfully, we still do have a long way to go!

Before you know it, another 108 blocks are up, bringing the outer wythe of the North wall up to the18th course:

northwallcourse18backside.jpg

And again, as with the South Wall, the end of the North shear wall means progress can accelerate yet again.  Here’s the pretty side:

northwallcourse18.jpg

A pallet jack lifts and will transport the RPG blocks that are destined to be part of the lower North diffusion pattern:

palletjackrpgblocks.jpg

And the flat-faced blocks that make up the background for the pattern are delivered by forklift (for later positioning by the aforementioned pallet jack):

forkliftflatblocks.jpg

And again, before you know it, another 150+ blocks are up:

northwalllowerpattern.jpg

An edge-on view:

northwalllowerpatternedge.jpg

And then comes the grouting, and another two dozen sticks of #5 rebar.  Now the scaffolding doesn’t quite look so tall!

northwallgroutcourse18.jpg

With 90 CMU per pallet, I’d call this good progress over the past few weeks:

palletprogress.jpg

Last but not least, a new storey pole is measured and installed so that we can bring the West wall up to match.  The tape is slack in this image, but the fact is this pole was measured to 1/16″ from every other reference pole according to the diamond grid of the design.

weststoreypole.jpg

We made good progress this week!

1 thought on “Week 74 (Lower North Diffusion Pattern)”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s